Friday, June 18, 2010

Foodie Friday

I'm sure I'm not the only one who got addicted to Starbucks' frappuccinos during their half-price "happy hour" promotional. I made every excuse I could dream up to make the 30-minute trip to indulge in my new obsession, which is a grande caramel with a shot of espresso, thankyouverymuch. Of course, my addiction didn't end when the promo did, which is, I'm sure, what Fivebucks, er, ahem, Starbucks was counting on. I mean, when two fraps for Benj and me cost as much as a chicken that would feed the family, things have gotten out of hand. And then, there's always the issue of the eleventy-seven grams of sugar in one of those cups of bliss.  I came to the conclusion, though it took me longer than it should have, that if I want to be able to fit through doorways without turning sideways (and buy chickens for the family) a frap had better be an occasional treat, not an every-time-I-get-the-chance treat.

So like a true addict, I've been trying to find other ways to satisfy my craving by mucking around with cold coffee, ice cubes, and a food processor. At first, I wasn't terribly successful. More than one attempt ended up splattered all over my wall, cupboards, and counter. If it had tasted good, I wouldn't have minded the mess so much. But it didn't come anywhere near the trademarked frappuccino. Mine was always watery, not slushy, coffee-y, and sweet. I finally came up with the idea of freezing milk in ice cube trays rather than using regular ice cubes. These drinks came out tasting good, but they still weren't quite the texture I was looking for (and I still made a mess.) Finally, my husband, bless his sweet heart, decided he was going to try making one with my immersion blender rather than the food processor. Success! The texture was fabulous, and it tasted heavenly.  To save  you, my three dear readers, from sticky floors, I am posting my wonderful recipe here.

Prep: Pour whole milk or cream into an ice cube tray (better do at least two trays...you'll be hooked) and freeze till solid. Brew strong coffee and cool in the refrigerator.

Directions: Pour 8 ounces of cooled, strong coffee in mixing cup or jar.
                  Add 2 tablespoons of coffee syrup (more or less to taste).
                  Add 6 or 7 milk cubes
                 Blend with a stick blender until the cubes disappear and the texture is frothy and slushy
                 Top with whipped cream and enjoy

Notes: For best results use a good quality coffee, such as Starbucks Gold Coast or French Roast or, what we use, Equal Exchange organic and fairly traded French Roast or Midnite Sun.

I use Flavorganics coffee syrup. It's organic and gluten free, and it only has 9 grams of sugar per tablespoon.

If you don't have an immersion or stick blender , a smoothie maker or heavy duty blender would probably work as well. I just know that a food processor wasn't a good choice.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a few more than three readers! I am stoked about this recipe and will be trying it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *so* could have written this, except my addition started with McDonald's frappes--so yummy and a mite cheaper ;-) But I don't want to be party to another addiction...I too, tried unsuccessfully to make my own so a big THANK YOU for this recipe...can't wait to try!

    Oh, and I love the fraps so much that I once got a "brain freeze" all the way down my back. Now that's a bit out of control. I still drink them unbelievably fast and my husband is newly amazed each time. It's one more thing for which he *hearts* me.

    P.S. I've posted about my addiction too.

    ReplyDelete

Free Counters