Thursday, May 20, 2010

To stem a revolt...

I know there's going to be a revolt if I don't soon post more pics of the children, Zion in particular, but my computer is complaining incessantly about the memory issue, and until I add memory, I'm having trouble uploading photos. In the meantime, I thought I'd entertain you with some Mercyisms.

Me (when we got in the car and Hero of the Rails started playing yet again): "Mercy, don't you want a different Thomas dvd?"
Mercy: "No, I want to watch this one."
Me: "Well, maybe Judah wants to watch a different one. You've already watched that one."
Mercy: "I said no, and I mean no."

Wow, where have I heard that before?
*****
Mercy and Judah recently had 48 hour viruses, which involved only a fever. I had settled Mercy in our big leather chair with her blanket and pillow when she requested her sippy. I gave it to her and was walking away...
Mercy: "Mommy, can you do something for me?"
Me: "What's that, Baby?"
Mercy: "I really need you to fold the laundry."
Apparently she couldn't relax because the laundry waiting to be folded on the ottoman was disturbing her.
Raise your hand if you think that if she's old enough to ask me to fold laundry, she's old enough to help.
****
Me (after Mercy had asked me a question, then contradicted the answer I gave her): "YES, it is. Don't argue with me."
Mercy: You're arguing with me, Mommy!"
****
It is nearly impossible to pull anything over on Mercy. My mom and dad came up to visit last Sunday, and my mom helped Mercy catch a toad and put it in Mercy's new bug-collecting jar. Mercy carried that poor toad all around and even took it into the bathroom with her while she and Judah got a bath. Mom tried every angle to convince Mercy that we needed to release the toad back into the woods.
Mom: "Mercy, his mommy is probably looking for him."
Mercy: "No, I think she is not."
Mom: "Poor toad. He needs to go home so he can get some food."
Mercy: "No. I will be velly lonely if he leaves."
Mom: "Oh, Mercy, he's crying for his mommy."
Mercy (on inspecting the toad): "No. I do not see any tears in his eyes."
****
I was lying on the couch in the playroom nursing Zion while Mercy and Judah were playing nicely.
Mercy: "Mommy, what's wrong? Are you all right?"
Me: "Yes, Baby, I'm just tired."
Mercy: "Are you tired from yelling at us?
Me:"MERCY! I haven't yelled at you today, have I?" I'm not saying I never have...I tend to be loud even in the best of times, but I'm really trying not to raise my voice at the children when I'm frustrated or angry. I was puzzled (okay, and a little concerned) why she would say such a thing, especially since we had had a good day, and I couldn't really remember either of them getting into trouble that day. When I was telling Benj about it later, I realized why she said what she did. Here's an example of an almost daily occurence at our house. I sit down to nurse the baby in whatever room the children are playing in. Nearly every time, they disappear into another room. After a few minutes, I decide to check on them.
Me: "Mercy, what are you two doing?"
Silence.
Me: "MERCY, WHERE ARE YOU AND WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING?"
Silence or scuffling in another part of the house.
Me: "MERCY AND JUDAH GET OUT HERE THIS SECOND!
Mercy (indignantly): We right heah in da playroom. We not doing anyfing!"
Me: "Why do you make me yell? I get so tired of yelling!! Just answer when I call!" ( I just hate how hollering back the hall destroys the peace in a house!)
And that explains why she asked if I was tired from yelling. Sigh.
****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Counters